Lutherans in the Nevis area began to gather together in 1906. The town began in 1899 after the railroad was extended from Park Rapids. The first meeting place of early Nevis Lutherans was the church on the north edge of town, known today as the Church of Christ. When that meeting place became unavailable, afternoon meetings were held in the homes of members followed by a social hour. At times, a pastor from Akeley or Bemidji area, would serve these members. The Norwegian language was used entirely at those meetings. On May 5, 1911 a meeting was held to organize a church, Bethany Lutheran Church. In 1912 a building project began to construct a church on the west side of the present property. The building was completed in 1913 and stood in that location until 2008 when the present church building was completed.